28 March 2018

REVIEW: My Dinner With Andrea - Jen Durbent (Hybrid Ink, 2018)




OK y'all...

I just finished reading Jen Durbent's debut novel, My Dinner With Andrea. and I am basically a mass of emotion right now.

First of all...this is a very real book. That means there are moments of amazing joy, and moments that ring far too true for far too many of us. It's unflinching, and I mean that in the best possible way.

It's honest.

It's >real<.

Next, Andrea and Faith are amazing characters. They're real. I know them. They're us in so many ways. and Michelle...is...so complex and real. They are characters you care about...fall in love with.

So much of this is...au courant. There is stuff here that could easily be a headline tomorrow. I am saying this because this can be a very triggering book. Fortunately Jen includes a concise list of trigger and content warnings. But know I had shakes at times. I say that with love, by the way...because it's not there for shock. It's there because it's real.

This is a real book.

About real people.

Now, there is a bit I also want to point out, and that is the fact that Jen includes some poly content in here. I know that she mentioned to me a few times she was worried about this.

She shouldn't have been.

What she's done is fantastic. it's sensitive, and sweet, and good. and I loved it. I think she did a superb job, and I'm proud of her for doing it.

This is a book by us and for us.

It's a book that all y'all out there should really pick up a copy of. Because supporting our own creators is hella important, and I think this is a special, hella important novel.

Were I all memey, I'd say 'i r8 8/8 gr8.'

But I won't.

Cos that's puerile and I am a mature adult who can take care of herself.

Instead, I'll say that this is...worthy. and worth your ducats and attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment