09 February 2018

Pronouns, hashtag the resistance, and accepting blame

OK, 'tis vent the spleen time.

I wanna talk today about so-called progressives (also known as hashtag the resistance) and pronouns/respect for the LGBT+ community.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single person in possession of 'allyship', will eventually show that allyship to be worth the paper it's printed on, if that, as soon as confronted with a failing.
We joke that people will quickly correct themselves when they misgender a dog, but flip out when told that they misgendered a person.

The thing is, time and again it proves to not be a joke,but rather a sad reality.

Now, this has nothing to do with purity tests. it has nothing to do with not being good enough, or perfect. It has everything to do with never having been what they claim to be. When you mess up...when I mess up, it's incredibly easy to say 'shit. i'm sorry. what do you use?'

When I talk about enby pals, I try to check in advance to see if they use they/theirs, or so called neopronouns, or whatever.

It's.

Not.

That.

Difficult.

To me it seems far harder to instead go OMG WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO ASK EVERYONE I HAVE SO MANY FOLLOWERS IT'S THEIR FAULT THEY MADE THIS INTO A SPANISH INQUISITION I'M AN ALLY THIS IS WHY WE'RE LOSING THE CULTURE WAR WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE NICE TO ME REALLY IT'S NOT MY FAULT

...and then carry it on for an hour.

Or two.

Over 100 posts.

Give or take.

Seriously.

You make a mistake.

Acknowledge.

Apologise.

Correct.

Move on.

Be better.

The worst part here is the fact that we're told over and over that we >have< to support democrats, we >have< to compromise, we have to give a little in order to get a little.

Thing is?

We have.

We were told to focus on winning the right to marriage for same sex couples. we did. we fought long and hard, even after being told that our rights are just too divisive, and if we can get this done then we can focus on trans rights.

And we did.

And they didn't.

And we're still divisive.

Our existence, we are told by our own community, is divisive.

And in the end, the ones fighting for us are...us.

But we're supposed to support the resistance, and democrats, people who really don't give two flying fucks about us.

Because it's duty.

And you can sit here and blame me for what happened in 2016. I held my fucking nose and voted for a republican rather than a fascist cheeto coloured fuckstain. I didn't vote for me...I voted against a greater evil.

And now we're supposed to just belly up to anyone who can't be arsed to even show us basic decency...who wants us to allow uniformed police who don't protect us to march in pride...

So while all y'all pink hat wearing pussy power being hashtag the resistance doing neoliberals sit here and belly up to the fascists just like y'all want us to belly up to you, well..

"I know the purity of pure despair,
My shadow pinned against a sweating wall.
That place among the rocks—is it a cave,
Or winding path? The edge is what I have."

Call us radical.

It's true.

And I came here out of choice as much as because y'all pushed me here.

Because you made it clear that I...that we...are too divisive.

That we ask for too much when we ask you to use our fucking pronouns.


Because you made it clear that all we're worth are your table scraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment