17 October 2015

PennEast foes host Lenape blessing for Delaware River

HOLLAND TWP. — Members of the Lenni Lenape Indian nation visited the banks of the Delaware River here Friday afternoon to bless the river within sight of where PennEast proposes to install a natural gas pipeline.

"When we say, 'thank you for the river,' maybe forces we don't know about will change things," Chief Chuck Gentlemoon DeMund said before beginning the ceremony.

DeMund, of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania, was assisted by his partner Ellen Rolph, Bob and Kathy Skelton, and Gary Brisky. They were there at the invitation of the Delaware Riverkeeper Network, along with several dozen pipeline opponents.

Read more at the link below...

PennEast foes host Lenape blessing for Delaware River

This directly impacts me, as I live one township over in Alexandria Township.  I'm glad to see people in the article mention that the Lenni Lenape lost the land they lived on, even if there's a bit of unfamiliarity with things (it wasn't their 'property,' they belonged to the land, the land was not owned, as no one can 'own' land).  Still, I am glad to see the First people being requested to help in this situation, and it makes me feel proud.

I don't want my woods and the wildlife befouled by possible gas or oil leaks.  They're all too precious to me.  I love my hawks and foxes and dear...I don't want them to disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment