27 October 2015

Some brief thoughts about Supergirl, the Pilot Episode



So, in the interest of full disclosure, a few notes:

1) Julie is, in general, not a fan of superhero comics, despite enjoying comics a whole lot.
2) No, you cannot look at the fact that I've started reading Spider-Gwen as evidence to the contrary.
3) My interests tended toward the DC Vertigo line and the Marvel Midnight Sons lines, with some indies as a side thing.
4) Nowadays, 90% of what I read is indy.

That said, we all know there's been a huge spate of superhero TV shows, mostly thanks to the massively successful Marvel Comics Universe, which I fully admit to enjoying a lot.  What can I say?  I am large, I contain multitudes.  I am excited about Marvel's Jessica Jones (and no, not because David Tennant is in it), and the little girl inside of me was excited enough by Supergirl that I had to give at least the pilot a chance.

So here are some thoughts...

Melissa Benoist is perfectly cast as Kara/Supergirl.  More importantly, she gets the balance right between phenomenal cosmic power and 20-something awkwardness and self-doubt.  She chafes at the diminishment she feels at the name Supergirl, even with her boss offering several arguments to the contrary.  She's fun and she's serious.  She understands her powers and what they mean, and isn't afraid to use them to help people...the only thing she has ever wanted to do.

Mechad Brooks as Jimmy...sorry...James...Olsen.  Inspired casting.  I love how neatly they wrapped up why he was there at the end of the episode, even if it seemed pretty obvious to us on the outside.  Working as a surrogate/messenger in a way for Superman allows the big guy to have a presence without actually being there which is EXCELLENT.

Loads of baddies from Krypton.  Come on, we had to have them.  Admittedly, I hope the series is not solely focused on essentially a civil war between Krypton factions, but you can't have a Super-series without them.  I'm cautiously optimistic here.

The sister/sister bit, with Alex Danvers being jealous of Kara's powers to the point of asking her not to use them, and then being part of a super secret organisation to monitor 'extraterrestrials' was a bit too tropey for me to swallow, but I'm hopeful that it won't be a major distraction, and simply become...less antagonistic?  Not everything has to be grimdark, and this has too many shades of a dark Agents of SHIELD for me.

Fun in an at first really awkward, but eventually hilarious way, was the ever evolving costume.  We start off with the expected Male Gaze version, which Kara utterly refuses, step by step evolving toward the costume we know and love (No capes?  Capes are so out!  Capes would make the suit more aerodynamic, why didn't I think of that!  OK, this cape is bullet-proof.).  It could have been so easily mishandled, but it really went a ways toward portraying Kara as a woman with a vision unwilling to compromise for her ideals, and I liked that.

First episode, I know...and miles to go before we sleep (hopefully many miles, based on the ratings), but I'd love to see some crossover with villains from other DC properties if it makes sense.  I already know we'll see plenty of time spent on how being a hero changes Kara's life, including most likely romantically.  I'd like the see the relationship with her sister explored more in depth.

Mostly, I'd like to see the show be unafraid of tackling serious issues, handled correctly, and without turning fully grimdark.  This is Supergirl...you can do those things and still have some light.  I think it can happen.

Put me down for next week's episode :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment