06 November 2015

Affirmation and double edged swords (Op. 12 for Contralto soloist and cello)

Affirmation of self can be wonderful.  It can also be a double edged sword.

To whit, this conversation from yesterday:

Me: (job name), how can I help you?
Him: Can I talk to the head of your company about setting up a call?
Me: He's on the road on calls, but I handle scheduling.
Him: Well, it's kind of technical...
Me: Your point?
Him: I think I should...umm...
Me: Talk to someone who sounds like a man on the phone?
Him: *silence*

On one hand, it as so affirming.  At work I generally try consciously to work on my voice, and it's nice when someone affirms that I don't sound male.  It's a nice warming moment, makes me feel I'm progressing, that I'm becoming more myself.

On the other hand, conversations like that are something I hate to say I expect moving forward, and I know they will not only continue but get more blatant.

I know I taught astronomy for 2 years.

I know I know more about astrophysics than a lot of people without a degree, and am half tempted to take all 4 parts of the edX Astrophysics course for fun.

I know that I build computers and know how they work.

I know all of these things.

I also know there's a conscious bias against women in STEM fields.

Just like I know there's conscious misogyny and transmisogyny in the gaming community, which is why I generally stay from voice chat, or only engage when I am with a group of regular friends who all know and are used to Julie's voice cracking and stuff...who are used to the sudden silences when I start crying and start sending me tells comforting me...who are incredibly supportive and lovely. and totally better than I deserve.

I know the future holds more of this, and worse.

I know my friends...the family I have chosen, will stand by me and protect me.

And that helps so much.

It truly does.

It doesn't change that it'll hurt, but it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment