14 November 2015

Archive: Some Brief Thoughts about The Witch’s Familiar

(NB: muck like last week, I am prefacing Whoday with an archive review of a past episode this series for catch up purposes.  Once Series 9 is done, I will be doing a regular feature on Tuesdays for past reviews I've written, starting with Series 4, when I started reviewing.

For now, enjoy this, and ignore the dates. -- The Management)



It’s Sunday afternoon, I’m behind, and this is my Brief thoughts post about The Witch’s Familiar, Series 9 Episode 2 of Doctor Who (2005-date)

For a show that’s so much about becoming better and helping people, this series has started out exceptionally dark.  I’ve no idea where we’re going, and I have a lot of unanswered questions, which I’ll list at the bottom, but the body count this year so far has been pretty high...if you count Daleks as having bodies.  And we’ve got a hella unrepentant Doctor, haunted by shame, and I hope that comes into play a lot more because I want to know what he’s ashamed of.

Anyway...here’s my moment by moment reactions for the episode...

1) Oooh, dizzy. Spinny upside down.
2) And of course, Clara and Missy are alive.
3) The Doctor trapped. The Doctor alone.
4) And an adventure without anyone!
5) Stalked 50 invisible android assassins.
6) 'I may be rounding up.' So Simm-Master.
7) And still with a cannibal vore thing going on.
8) How did he survive?
9) Consider the Doctor. What a phrase.
10) Clara works it out!
11) And that explains how she escaped the Cybermen.
12) A...nest of vampire monkeys?
13) But that's another story.
14) And that had to hurt.
15) 'I love killing clever clogs...they make the best faces.'
16) We, on the other hand, have a pointy stick.
17) 'I was actually quite peckish!'
18) 'Can I have a stick too?' 'Make your own stick!'
19) What a pre-credits sequence! Love it.
20) And into Skaro.





21) The Doctor knocking everything over.
22) Davros is manipulating the Doctor for all it's worth.
23) And EVERY Dalek ever! 60's bronze, Special Weapons Dalek!
24) And here is...The Doctor!
25) 'Admit it, you've all had this exact nightmare!'
26) And EXTERMINATE!
27) The sewers are...alive?
28) OUCH! Missy...
29) 'Where did I get a cup of tea?'
30) And a Doctor with nothing else left to lose.
31) Missy and Clara in a stand-down...how exciting.
32) 'In the future, if you're going to take my stick, do me the courtesy of actually killing me.'
33) Sewer...decaying Daleks, because Daleks can't die. Ewww.
34) Goddess that was terrifying.
35) What does the Doctor want?
36) Clara...safe, alive, returned immediately.
37) The Doctor without hope.
38) He'll burn everything.
39) And there are snakes again.
40) Don't listen to her Clara!
41) Damn it!
42) Like a knife through...people?
43) Missy had a daughter?
44) And Missy goes from Scottish to deep Southern.
45) Ewww.....gross.
46) Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
47) And back to Davros in the field as a child...but only a dream.
48) Time to conclude our business...
49) Get in? Oh geez, Clara...it's a trap.
50) Davros is connected to every Dalek on the planet...he's vampiring off them.
51) Mercy...there's that word.
52) 'Imagine...to hold in your hand...' What a familiar phrase.
53) Genocide as a choice.
54) 'Are you ready...to be a god?'
55) Awesome music here!
56) Conscience and shame.
57) I'm just a bloke in a box, telling stories.
58) I came because you're sick and you asked.
59) And Clara's back inside the Dalek.
60) Missy is enjoying this too much, and Clara is definitely not.
61) Shit....things are being set up here.
62) Davros/Doctor dialogue is the best.
63) What is the Doctor's confession?
64) And he grabs...
65) His shades.
66) Still you play the fool. And by now that should make you nervous.
67) Why did you really leave Gallifrey?
68) We have exhausted conventional means of communication.
69) It is safe...from both of us.
70) Its Davros...don't believe him! Don't trust him!
71) Cripes, Doctor...
72) Let me see it again...with my own eyes/
73) Oh lord that's spooky.
74) Protect your own, as I have sought to protect mine.
75) 'Am I good man?' From Davros?
76) Missy amongst the Daleks...and she's snappy as ever.
77) And now we know how Skaro came back...
78) 'It is so good of you to help me.' Listen to him Doctor! He's playing you!
79) He's playing your compassion!
80) KNEW IT!
81) Your compassion is your downfall!
82) You have opened your veins of your own free well, and all of the Daleks will drink.
83) Glowing Daleks...and the music!!!
84) Gallifreyan prophesy!
85) Hybrid creature...two great warrior races forced together...
86) Did you run from your part in the coming of the half Dalek, half time lord?
87) Missy shoots like River Song.
88) The Experiment has succeeded. All praise Davros!
89) I love this music...from 2008 if I remember?
90) Missy is well pissed that the Doctor is not talking about her.
91) 3...confession disc.
92) 2...Oooh I know that face.
93) 1...earthquake!
94) I knew what you were doing, and I let you do it.
95) And the sewers are coming alive again,
96) Generations of Daleks just woke up and they are coming up the pipes.
97) And Missy pokes da eye!
98) Super grody, eww!
99) And a lone Dalek...
100) Oh no...
101) He doesn't get it...
102) And Missy wants the Doctor to kill the Dalek that killed Clara.
103) What a lie.
104) Mercy...
105) And he gets it.
106) Missy...run.
107) And more about the hybrid...
108) Dalek supreme, your sewers are revolting. *rimshot*
109) TARDIS force field is still here! HADS worked!
110) Wearable technology!
111) The Doctor and Clara Oswald in the TARDIS
112) Missy surrounded...I've just had a very clever idea. Oh no.
113) And the city falls...
114) And the Doctor gets it...and I swear those are first or second doctor pants.
115) And back to the Ep 1 ending...
116) And the doctor wipes out the handmines.
117) 'Come on, I'll take you home.'
118) I'm not sure any of that matters...so long as there's mercy. Always mercy.
119) Such a Western Movie musical ending...

I’ve grown to live MissyMaster, and I’m really curious what her part this year is.  Davros was excellent...and Julian Bleach is easily the second greatest Davros ever.  Peter Capaldi was brilliant, switching from irate to scared, to loving on a dime.  Clara...again, not much, but she was terrified inside that Dalek (like you would be), and I wonder if she has any residual memories of when she was converted.  And seeing every Dalek ever again was just a joy.

What is this Hybrid creature they keep mentioning?

What was the Doctor’s role?

Was this also the work of the Deca (Theta Sigma, Koschei, Ushas, better known as The Doctor, Master and Rani)?

Will we see said abomination?

If last week was good, this week was BLOODY PHENOMENAL.  Very excited for next week, to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment